Monterrey Spinach Melts
- 1 loaf (11 ounces) refrigerated French bread dough
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 small finely-chopped carrot
- 1 pressed garlic clove
- 1 package (9 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 4 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, sliced
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray metal bread tube with vegetable oil spray. Place dough in bread tube* and bake upright 55-60 minutes. Cool in tube 10 minutes. Slide bread out onto cooling rack. Cool completely. Combine all ingredients except bread and cheese in a bowl. Slice bread into approx 20 slices. Place slices on baking stone. Spread spinach mixture onto slices. Place a slice of cheese on each one. Bake 10-12 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve warm.
*If you don’t have a bread tube, you can just buy a loaf of Italian or French bread and slice it. That will work too.