Roasted Red Pepper Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 lb small shell pasta (16 ounces)
- 3 roasted red bell peppers (i buy the jarred ones but you could roast your own)
- 1/2 cup butter, unsalted
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup medium cheddar cheese, shredded fine
- 1 cup mild cheddar cheese (or sharp for more of a bite), shredded fine
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
- 1 1 /4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
in a large pot add water halfway up and add 1-2 teaspoons kosher salt (the water should taste slightly salty) heat over high heat until boiling and add the pasta, cooking per package instructions. set aside.
in a blender puree the roasted red peppers until smooth, set aside.
in a separate pot, over medium heat add the butter and cook until melted. add the garlic and saute for 20-30 seconds and then whisk in the flour. continue to whisk for 30 seconds or until a nutty aroma fills the air. whisk in the roasted red pepper until it's all mixed together and then continue to whisk as you slowly pour in the milk and cream. once the mixture is smooth add the salt, pepper, nutmeg and cheeses. whisk until all of the cheese is incorporated and spoon the pasta into the mixture, adding a tablespoon or two of pasta water if needed. serve immediately.
shredding the cheese with the extra small holes on your grater will produce a creamier sauce.