Mini Open-Faced Meatloaf Sandwiches
- FOR THE TOMATO SAUCE, SAUTÉ:
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 ⁄2 cup diced white onion
- 1 ⁄4 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 3 ⁄4 cup ketchup
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- FOR THE MEATLOAF, SOAK:
- 1 ⁄4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- 5 oz. ground chuck
- 5 oz. ground pork
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 ⁄2 tsp. each dried thyme, kosher salt, and black pepper
- 1 ⁄4 tsp. each chili powder and garlic powder
- 6 slices white sandwich bread, crusts removed, toasted and quartered
- Mini dill gherkins, sliced
Preheat oven to 350°. Coat a 6×3-inch mini loaf pan with nonstick spray.
For the tomato sauce, sauté bell pepper, onion, cumin, garlic, and bay leaf in oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until soft, 4–5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, ketchup, parsley, and Worcestershire; season with salt and black pepper.
Simmer sauce until thickened, 8–10 minutes; let cool slightly. Discard bay leaf.
For the meatloaf, soak panko in milk in a bowl for the binder.
Gently mix chuck, pork, 1⁄3 cup tomato sauce, egg, thyme, 1⁄2 tsp. salt, 1⁄2 tsp. black pepper, chili powder, garlic powder, and soaked panko in a large bowl just until combined.
Transfer mixture to prepared pan and bake meatloaf until firm and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 165°, about 45 minutes.
Remove meatloaf from oven; let cool to room temperature and slice into 6 slices, then quarter each slice. Serve meatloaf on toasts, dollop with sauce, and top with gherkins.