Slow Cooker Enchilada Soup
All the flavors of my favorite enchiladas brought to life in a delicious slow-cooker soup! With shredded chicken, corn, cheddar cheese and sour cream in a spicy, creamy, green chile and tomato infused broth.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 small green or red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- coarse salt and fresh black pepper
- 1 can (11 ounce) Ro-tel diced tomatoes & green chiles
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 + 1/4 pounds boneless chicken breasts
- 2 cups corn
- 1 tablespoon chili powder like McCormick
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano (preferably Mexican), crushed between fingertips
- 1 + 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese or monterey jack, plus more for serving
- 1 cup sour cream, plus more for serving
- tortilla chips, for serving
- Read more at http://www.cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com/slow-cooker-chicken-enchilada-soup/#ysWVSIfbHxMFoyCy.99
•In a medium skillet heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions, peppers and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until softened, stirring often, about 10 minutes.
•Meanwhile to your crock-pot add the Ro-tel, chicken broth, chicken, corn, black beans (if using), chile powder, cumin, oregano and 1 teaspoon coarse salt or 1/2 teaspoon fine and about 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Mix in the cooked onions, peppers and garlic.
•Cook on high 3 - 4 hour or low 5 - 6. Remove the chicken breasts to a cutting board. Stir the cheese and sour cream into the soup. Shred the chicken or cut into bite-sized pieces and add back to the pot. Taste and season as needed. Cook 1 more hour on low heat.
•Serve garnished with more cheese, sour cream and tortilla chips.