Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 lb Andouille sausage sliced
- 1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 celery ribs chopped
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tsp. creole seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 lbs. unpeeled large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup parsley
1. Preheat oven to 400. sprinkle flour in a 9 inch cast iron skillet. Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown, stirring once. Cool 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile cook sausage in a Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until browned. Drain on paper towels. Place sausage in a 6 qt. slow cooker, add tomatoes and next 7 ingredients.
3.Whisk together browned flour and broth until smooth. Pour into slow cooker. Cover and cook on High 5 to 6 hours. Stir in shrimp, green onions, and parsley. Cover and cook on High 30 minutes stirring once. Discard bay leaves before serving.