Chocolate Buttermilk Cake
A thick decadent rich chocolate cake with a secret ingredient.
- 3 C all-purpose flour
- 2 + 1/2 C granulated sugar
- 4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 C unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 + 1/3 C vegetable oil
- 1 + 1/2 C buttermilk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 + 1/2 C rich coffee
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Dark Chocolate Buttercream -
- 5 + 1/2 C powdered sugar
- 1 + 1/3 C unsweetened cocoa powder
- 12 tbsp butter, room temperature
- 12 tbsp heavy cream or whole milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 60mins
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or line 2 - 9" baking pans and set aside.
2. Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder.
3. Add in the vegetable oil, buttermilk, and eggs. Stirring until well combined.
4. Slowly pour in the coffee down the side of the bowl while stirring it into the mixture. Stir in vanilla.
5. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in the cake pans for 20 minutes before turning out.
6. For the frosting - Sift the powdered sugar and cocoa powder in a small bowl. Make sure there are no lumps before continuing. Beat in the butter and cream until a smooth frosting forms. Add in vanilla.
7. To make the cake - Place one of the cooled cakes on a server or platter. If you want a flat cake, trim off the top of both cakes. Crumb coat the top. Place the second cake on. Frost using a plastic spatula or an off hand spatula.