- 8 to 10 medium mushroom, firm, closed caps
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons minced onion or green onion
- 1/4 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup soft bread crumbs (see below)
- 1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 slices of thick sliced double smoked bacon
- 2 tablespoons water
- salt & pepper to taste
Cook bacon until almost crisp, let cool on paper towel, coarsley chop
Preheat oven to 350°. Wash mushrooms quickly under running water; drain on paper towels. Pull stems from mushrooms and chop finely. Melt butter in a skillet over medium-low heat; add chopped mushroom stems and onion. Sauté until tender. Stir in Worcestershire sauce, soft bread crumbs,bacon, cheese, salt and pepper. Sprinkle salt over mushroom caps and fill with sautéed mixture, mounding over the top.
At this point, you may cover and refrigerate these mushrooms for up to 24 hours.
Before serving, put 2 tablespoons of water in a shallow dish and arrange stuffed mushrooms in dish. Bake for about 20 minutes. Serve hot.
Makes 8 to 10 appetizers.
Soft bread crumbs: Put bread on cutting board and use fork tines to tear off crumbs, or use food processor to make finer crumbs. One slice bread makes about 1/2 cup lightly packed crumbs.