Allred's Butternut Squash Soup
Unusual because of the green curry paste. It is in cans or jars and I usually buy Thai Kitchen brand in a small jar and stores in refrigerator after opening.
- 1 large butternut squash, halved, seeded and rubbed with olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 Gala apples, peeled and diced
- 1 cinnamon stick (or 1 teaspoon cinnamon...I like Vietnamese cinnamon)
- 2 T. diced ginger
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 can coconut milk (12-13 oz)
- 1 t. Thai Green curry paste
- 2 peeled and diced Gala apples finely for garnish
- 1/4 cup toasted slice almonds
- Salt and white pepper
- Chives (optional)
Roast squash cut side down 400° for 30-40 minutes, soft and and slightly brown. Cool and scoop out.
Sweat onion, apple, ginger, and cinnamon in extra virgin olive oil until translucent. Add squash and cover with chicken stock in a saucepan (not a wide, flat skillet or stock pot). Cook 20-30 minutes. Add coconut milk and curry paste. Purée all. Add salt & pepper.
Serve in soup bowls with almonds ( or other nuts like macadamias or hazelnuts) apples in small dice and chives.
Can add shrimp, crab, smoked salmon and crême fraiche or sour cream.