Mac & Cheese Stuffed Pumpkin
(You will find thing's you do not find here, there)
Follow or friend me on Facebook for even more recipe's,etc:
♥Delish Dish♥ at Facebook Groups https://www.facebook.com/groups/Creates/
♥Delish Dish♥ at Tumblr http://delishdishs.tumblr.com/
- 1 large pumpkin, about 11 inches in diameter, preferably with one flat side
- Cooking spray
- 4 cups small elbow macaroni
- 6 tablespoons Cabot Salted Butter
- 6 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- Large pinch ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 2 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 4 cups whole milk, heated
- 2 pounds Cabot Sharp Cheddar or Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar, grated & divided (about 8 cups)
- 1 cup buttered bread crumbs
Adapted from facebook.com
1. Preheat oven to 375ºF.
2. Place pumpkin flat-side-down or remove thin slice from one side so pumpkin will be stable. With sharp knife, cut pumpkin in half horizontally, slightly above stem, to form bowl. Remove fiber and seeds. With spoon or ice cream scoop, scrape out some of flesh so shell has a thickness of 3/4 to 1 inch.
3. Spray top edge of pumpkin with cooking spray or brush lightly with oil, then place cut-side down on pizza pan or baking sheet. Bake for 45 to 60 minutes or until pumpkin still holds it shape but flesh is cooked and can be pierced easily with a toothpick.
4. While pumpkin bakes, cook and drain macaroni according to package directions; set aside.
5. In large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Sprinkle flour into butter and whisk constantly until you have thick, smooth paste with nutty aroma, about 5 minutes.
6. Add mustard, red pepper and Worcestershire. Gradually whisk in milk and continue stirring until sauce thickens and returns to simmer.
7. Reduce heat to low. Add 7 cups of cheese and stir until melted. Add macaroni, stirring until well coated; remove from heat.
8. Turn baked pumpkin over with oven mitts. Place in large shallow baking dish or leave on baking sheet. Fill pumpkin with macaroni mixture and top with remaining cheese and breadcrumbs. (Put any mac and cheese that won’t fit in another small baking dish).
9. Bake until filling is puffed and golden, about 40 to 50 minutes longer (smaller baking dish will be done sooner). Let stand for about 10 minutes to settle before serving.