Red, White and Green Grilled Cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced (about 1/2 clove)
- 1 small onion, minced (about 1/2 cup
- 2 cups frozen cut spinach, thawed and drained (or substitute 2 bags (10 ounces each) fresh leaf spinach, rinsed)
- 1/4 teaspoon groun black pepper
- 8 slices whole-wheat bread
- 1 medium tomato, rinsed, cut into 4 slices
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Nonstick cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place a large baking sheet in the oven to preheat for about 10 minutes.
2. Heat garlic with cooking spray in a medium saute pan over medium heat. Cook until soft but not browned. Add onions and continue to cook until the onions are soft but nor browned.
3. Add spinach and toss gently. Cook until the spinach is heated throughout. Season with pepper and set aside to cool.
4. When the spinach amd onions are cool, assemble each sandwich with one slivc of bread on the bottom, one tomato slice, 1/2 cup of spinach mixture, 1/4 cup of cheese and a second slice of bread on the top.
5. Spray the preheated nonstick baking sheet with cooking spray. Place the sandwiches on theb baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the bottom of each sandwich is browned.
6. Carefully flip sandwiches and bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until both sides are browned. Serve immediately.