Healthier French Onion Soup
Per Serving: Calories: 290
Calories from fat: 30%; Fat: 9.6g; Saturated fat: 4.8g; Monounsaturated fat: 1.9g; Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g; Protein: 16.8g; Carbohydrate: 33.4g; Fiber: 3.1g; Cholesterol: 20mg; Iron: 1.6mg; Sodium: 359mg; Calcium: 317mg
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 cups thinly vertically sliced Walla Walla or other sweet onion
- 4 cups thinly vertically sliced red onion
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 8 cups less-sodium beef broth
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 8 (1-ounce) slices French bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 (1-ounce) slices reduced-fat, reduced-sodium Swiss cheese (such as Alpine Lace)
Adapted from cookinglight.com
Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onions to pan; sauté for 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in sugar, pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Reduce heat to medium; cook 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Increase heat to medium-high, and sauté for 5 minutes or until onion is golden brown. Stir in wine, and cook for 1 minute. Add broth and thyme; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 2 hours.
Place bread in a single layer on a baking sheet; broil 2 minutes or until toasted, turning after 1 minute.
Place 8 ovenproof bowls on a jelly-roll pan. Ladle 1 cup soup into each bowl. Divide bread evenly among bowls; top each serving with 1 cheese slice. Broil 3 minutes or until cheese begins to brown.