Cranberry Bunt Cake
Makes 16 servings
Make ahead: tightly wrapped cooled, unglazed cake and hold at room temperature for up to 1 day. Glaze before serving.
Need 10 cup bunt cake
- 1 oz package fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup 100% cranberry juice or water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground all spice or pumpkin pie spice
- 1 1/2 cup whit whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups non fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 medium apple or ripe but firm pear, shredded
- 3/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- 1/2 cup packed confections sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons water
Combine cranberries, brown sugar, juice and all spice in a small non reactive saucepan
Cook over medium high heat, stirring until sugar is melted
Cook stirring occasionally until cranberries burst, 5-6 minutes
Preheat oven to 350. Coat a ten cup bunt Pam with cooking spray
To prepare cake:
Whisk whole wheat flour, all purpose flower, baking powder, salt and baking soda in medium bowl. Combine yogurt and vanilla In small bowl.
Beat butter oil and granulated sugar in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium high speed until well combined. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition until just incorporated.
Scrape down the sides. Add the dry ingredients alternately with the yogurt mixture. Starting and ending with the dry ingredients and beating on a low speed just until incorporated after each addition. Scraping down the sides as necessary fold in apple And walnuts.
Spoon half the batter into the prepared pan. Spoon the filling on top of the batter leaving a little border of batter on both sides. Top with the remaining batter and smooth the top.
Bake the cake until light brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, About 1 hr. Let cool in the pan for 15 minutes.
Running knife around the edges and center then pull off to a wire rack to cool completely about 2 hours.
To prepare glaze:
Place confectioners sugar in a small bowl. Add one tablespoon water and stir until smooth. Add more water as needed to achieve a thick glaze consistency. Pain the glaze over the cake with a pastry brush.