Beer Basted Bratwurst and Slaw
- 4 tablespoon(s) cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoon(s) packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon(s) packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) crushed red pepper
- 1/2 head(s) (medium) cabbage, very thinly sliced, (6 cups)
- 1/2 cup(s) beer
- 2 teaspoon(s) lower-sodium soy sauce
- 2 medium onions
- 2 large red peppers
- 6 (1 pound) fully cooked bratwurst sausages
Preparation time 35mins
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from shine.yahoo.com
1. In large bowl, stir 3 tablespoons vinegar, 1 teaspoon brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper, and 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper until sugar dissolves. Add cabbage; toss to coat. Let stand.
2. Prepare grill for direct grilling on medium-low.
3. In 3-quart saucepan, combine beer, soy sauce, and remaining 3 tablespoons brown sugar, 1 tablespoon vinegar, and 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper. Heat to boiling on medium-high, stirring. Reduce heat to maintain simmer and cook 15 minutes or until reduced to 1/3 cup, stirring often.
4. While sauce simmers, cut onions, peppers, and sausages into 1-inch chunks; thread onto skewers. Grill 10 to 12 minutes or until onions are tender and grill marks appear on sausages, turning occasionally. Brush two-thirds of sauce all over skewers and grill 5 minutes or until sauce caramelizes, turning. Transfer to serving plates; brush with remaining sauce. Serve with slaw.