herbed summer squash and potato torte
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/8-inch-thick rounds
- 12 ounces yellow crookneck squash or regular yellow or green summer squash, cut into 1/8-inch-thick rounds
- 6 teaspoons olive oil
Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter two 8-inch-diameter cake pans. (Deb note: I had only a 9-inch pan around, so what you see in my pictures is slightly thinner.) Set aside 1/4 cup sliced green onions. Toss remaining green onions, cheese, flour, thyme, salt and pepper in medium bowl to blend.
Layer 1/6 of potatoes in concentric circles in bottom of 1 prepared pan, overlapping slightly. Layer 1/4 of squash in concentric circles atop potatoes. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon oil. Sprinkle with 1/6 of cheese mixture. Repeat with 1/6 of potatoes, then 1/4 of squash and 1 teaspoon oil. Sprinkle with 1/6 of cheese mixture. Top with 1/6 of potatoes. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon oil. Sprinkle with 1/6 of cheese mixture and press gently to flatten. Repeat procedure with second cake pan and remaining potatoes, squash, oil, and cheese mixture.
Cover pans with foil. Bake until potatoes are almost tender, about 40 minutes. Remove foil; bake uncovered until tortes begin to brown and potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes longer. (Can be made 6 hours ahead. Cool. Cover with foil and chill. Rewarm, covered with foil, in 350°F oven until heated through, about 30 minutes.)
Cut each torte into wedges. Sprinkle wedges with 1/4 cup green onions; serve.
You'll also love
- Brined Herb Crusted Turkey 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Oma's apricot nut bars 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Avocado Chicken Enchiladas 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Rhubarb Orange Mousse 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Sloppy Joe Cabbage Wraps 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Sausage & Apple Stuffed Acorn... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Pumpkin Ravioli with Fruit Sauce 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Arugula, Potato, and Goat Cheese... 5/5 (1 Votes)