Spaghetti sauce with ground sausage.
- 1 pound ground sausage (I used Neeses. AND try the spicy version!)
- 1 medium-largish onion, chopped
- 3-4 ounces red wine
- 28 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 35 ounces canned peeled tomatoes
- 28 ounces canned crushed tomatoes
- 15 ounces canned tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3-4 bay leaves
1. Brown sausage in large dutch oven or heavy bottomed stock pot over medium heat.
2. Add chopped onion and sauté for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Stir in red wine and cook for 1 minute.
4. Add remaining ingredients, stir to combine and bring to a simmer.
5. Simmer over medium for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust seasonings.
6. Reduce heat to low-medium low, cover and continue to cook for at least 30-45 minutes, stirring occasionally (the longer the better).
7. Serve over cooked pasta, or use as meat sauce in baked ziti, lasagna, or other baked pasta dish.
If preparing ahead, cover and refrigerate, and gradually re-warm before serving.