Christmas-Morning Italian Strata
From Good HouseKeeping
- 1 1/2 pound(s) pork-sausage meat
- 1 loaf(s) (12-ounce) French bread
- 2 can(s) (4-ounces each) mushrooms
- 6 large eggs
- 1 quart(s) milk
- 2 teaspoon(s) Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) garlic powder, (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) pepper
- 1 package(s) (8-ounce) shredded mozzarella cheese, (2 cups)
- 1 package(s) (4-ounce) shredded Cheddar cheese, (1 cup)
Preparation time 75mins
Cooking time 150mins
Adapted from Goodhousekeeping.com
1.The Night Before Serving: Grease 13" by 9" glass baking dish. In 10-inch skillet over medium heat, cook pork-sausage meat, stirring frequently to break up sausage, until thoroughly cooked and no longer pink. Using slotted spoon, remove sausage to paper towels to drain.
2.Cut French bread into 1/2-inch cubes. Drain and chop mushrooms. In baking dish, combine sausage, bread cubes, and mushrooms. In large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and pepper. Pour egg mixture over sausage mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
3.About 1 3/4 Hours Before Serving: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake strata, uncovered, 1 hour. Remove from oven and sprinkle evenly with mozzarella and Cheddar cheeses. Bake 15 minutes longer or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Remove strata from oven; let stand 10 minutes for easier serving. Garnish with chopped parsley.