Turketta (The Chew)
- 10-15 pound Fresh Turkey (de-boned)
- Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 pound Pancetta (finely chopped)
- 10 Garlic cloves (minced)
- 3 Lemons (zest)
- 1 Orange (zest)
- 4 sprigs Rosemary (stripped and chopped)
- 1/2 cup Parsley (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons Red Chile Flake
- 2 tablespoons Rinsed Capers (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons Kosher Salt
Adapted from abc.go.com
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place the pancetta in a food processor and pulse until you form a paste. Thoroughly mix the pancetta with the remaining ingredients. Lay the turkey on a cutting board flesh side up and score every inch. Rub the flesh with the pancetta paste, thoroughly rubbing into the scores.
Roll it up, skin side out, and tie with butcher twine. Season the skin lightly with salt. Place into 350 degree oven and roast for 1 hour. Turn the heat up to 400 and bake for another 1/2 hour or until the skin is crisp and internal temperature reaches 160 degrees. Let the turketta rest for 30 minutes.
Gently slice the turketta and serve. Serve with salsa verde and gravy.
1. If you don’t have pancetta, you can use bacon. Using bacon will yield a smokier flavor.
2. The rolled out, boneless turkey, which can be prepared by your butcher, cooks much quicker than a bone in turkey.
3. Serve with either a classic gravy or salsa verde. When preparing the salsa verde, remove seeds and ribs of the peppers, if you don’t like it that spicy.
4. You can make the salsa days ahead of time if you’d like, just don’t add the lemon juice until you serve so it doesn’t brown out your herbs.