- Kosher salt
- 8 ounces (about 10)lasagna noodles broken into pieces
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 pound sweet italian sausage
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped basil, plus thinly sliced leaves for topping.
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/4 cup heavy cream or half and half
- ricotta cheese for topping
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook noodles as package directs. Drain, drizzle with olive oil and toss.
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large heavy bottomed pot over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook about 4 minutes. Add the sausage, garlic and oregano and cook about 4 minutes, breaking up sausage. Add the tomato paste and stir. Cook about 2 minutes.
Add the chicken broth, tomatoes and 1 cup water. Cover and bring to a simmer. Uncover and cook until slightly reduced, about 10 minutes. Stir in the noodles, basil, parmesean and heavy cream, simmer 2 more minutes. Top bowls with ricotta and sliced basil.