Skinny Mexican Rice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 1 cup long grain brown rice (recommend Uncle Ben's Long Grain Brown Rice - not the quick or instant kind)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can petit diced tomatoes
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles (optional)
- 2 cups vegetable broth, low sodium (optional, chicken broth)
Adapted from skinnyms.com
In a large skillet or sauce pan add oil, turn to medium-low heat and saute onion until tender, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and continue to saute one additional minute. Add remaining ingredients, cover, reduce heat and simmer on low for approximately 45 minutes or until rice has soaked up the liquid and is tender.
NOTE: The time it takes to cook the rice will depend on the brand. Some brands take 35 minutes, while others take up to an hour. We prefer Uncle Ben's Long Grain Rice because it is tender in approximately 35-45 minutes.
Remove from heat, leave covered and allow to set 10 minutes before serving.
Yields: 4 | Serving size: 1 cup | Calories: 139 | Previous Points: 2 | Points Plus: 4 | Total Fat: 3 gm | Saturated Fats: 1 gm | Trans Fats: 0 gm | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 371 mg | Carbohydrates: 23 gm | Dietary fiber: 4 gm | Sugars: 4 gm | Protein: 7 gm
You'll also love
- Mexican Rice & Bean Casserole 4.4/5 (15 Votes)
Review this recipe