Broccoli Scalloped Potatoes
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups (8 oz) shredded swiss cheese, divided
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced ( about 4 cups)
- 2 cups frozen broccoli florets,thawed and patted dry
Preheat oven to 350. In a dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic: cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until tender.
Stir in flour, white pepper and salt until blended: gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly: cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened.
Stir in 1 cup cheese. Reduce heat: cook 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted( sauce will be thick) Remove from heat.
Add potatoes, ham and broccoli to sauce: stir gently to coat. Transfer to a greased 13 x 9 inch baking dish or 8 / 8 ounce ramekins.
Bake, covered 40 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender and cheese is melted.