Braised Potatoes with Garlic and Bay Leaves
Variation: 2 leafy sprigs of rosemary in place of the bay leaves and butter in place of the olive oil.
- 1 1/2 lbs. small red or white or fingerling potatoes, scrubbed
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup water or chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves, preferably fresh
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, peeled and bruised
- Course salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 30mins
Place the potatoes in a saucepan large enough to hold them in one snug layer without crowding. Add the olive oil and enough water or stock to come halfway up the sides of the potatoes. Tear the bay leaves in half and add them along with the garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Once at a simmer, lower the heat to medium-low so the liquid simmers gently. Braise about 20 minutes, until tender, turning the potatoes once about halfway through the cooking time.
Remove the lid, increase the heat to high and boil, shaking the pan back and forth until the liquid evaporates and you can hear the olive oil sizzle, about five minutes. Serve hot.