Don Morrisons' Old Fashioned Fisherman's Chowder
- 4 oz butter
- 4 oz salt pork or bacon (finely diced)
- 1 large onion (finely diced)
- 4 large potatoes (cubed & cooked)
- 2 cups half & half
- 2 cups evaporated milk
- 2 cups fish stock or water
- 2 tblsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp. black pepper
- 2 pounds seafood (1 lb haddock, 1/2 lb shrim, 1/2 lb lobster meat. Choice of seafood as long as the total equals 2 lbs)
- 6 fresh oysters
Melt butter, add pork and cook until all prk is dark brown (about 5 minutes
Add onions and ocok until onions are clear. Add all raw seafood and cook 3 minutes, add cooked seafood (ie. lobster), season with salt & pepper and cook 2 more minutes.
Add fish stock and bring to boil, add evaporated milk and half & half. Slowly bring chowder to a low simmer being careful not to boil
Once chowder is hot, carefully float raw oysters on top of chowder and allow to simmer for 6 minutes. Immediately ladle each bowl of chowder and serve one oyster in each bowl.