Key Lime Pie Poke Cake
Bring the great flavor of key lime pie to a wonderful white cake. It's refreshing and fantastic!
1 Serving: Calories 390 (Calories from Fat 150); Total Fat 16g (Saturated Fat 7g, Trans Fat 2 1/2g); Cholesterol 80mg; Sodium 310mg; Total Carbohydrate 56g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 41g); Protein 6g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6%; Vitamin C 2%; Calcium 10%; Iron 4% Exchanges: 1/2 Starch; 3 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 1/2 High-Fat Meat; 2 1/2 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 4
- 1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® white cake mix
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- Key Lime Filling:
- 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated)
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup Key lime juice or regular lime juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lime peel
- 4 drops yellow food color
- 1 drop green food color
- 1 container (12 oz) Betty Crocker® Whipped vanilla frosting
- 2 teaspoons grated lime peel
- Garnish, If Desired:
- Fresh strawberries
- Key lime slices
- Lemon leaves
Heat oven to 350°F for shiny metal or glass pan (or 325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Spray bottom only of 13x9-inch pan with baking spray with flour.
2. In large bowl, beat cake ingredients with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into pan.
3. Bake 26 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes. With handle of wooden spoon (1/4 to 1/2 inch in diameter), poke holes almost to bottom of cake every 1/2 inch, wiping spoon handle occasionally to reduce sticking.
4. In medium bowl, stir together filling ingredients (mixture will thicken). Pour over cake; spread evenly over surface, working back and forth to fill holes. (Some filling should remain on top of cake.) Refrigerate 1 hour.
5. Spread frosting over cake; sprinkle with lime peel. Garnish with strawberries, lime slices and lemon leaves. Store loosely covered in refrigerator.
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): No change.
Key lime pie is not green in color unless food color is added. If you'd prefer a greener filling in this cake, add a couple drops of green food color to the filling before pouring it over the cake.
If Key limes aren't available in your grocery store, look for bottled Key lime juice near the other bottled lime juices.