Ambessa Earl of Harlem Madeleines
- 5tablespoons5 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature
- Tea from 2 tea bags of Ambessa Earl of Harlem
- 1cup1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2teaspoon1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- PinchPinch of salt
- 2large2 large eggs
- 1/3cup1/3 cup sugar
- 2tablespoons2 tablespoons honey
- 2teaspoons2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2teaspoon1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- Line small sieve with 2 layers of damp cheesecloth and set sieve over small bowl.
Adapted from instagram.com
1. Melt butter in saucepan over low heat. Mix in tea. Let stand 10 minutes, then pour into sieve. Twist cheesecloth tightly around mixture, releasing tea-flavored butter into bowl. Set aside.
2. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt into medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat eggs and sugar in large bowl until thick, about 4 minutes. Add honey, vanilla, and orange zest. Beat 1 minute longer, then gently fold in dry ingredients, then tea-flavored butter.
3. Press plastic wrap onto surface of batter; chill batter at least 4 hours or up to 1 day.
4. Position rack in center of oven and preheat 400°F. Brush twelve 3x2-inch madeleine molds with butter, then dust with flour; tap out excess. Place pan on baking sheet. Drop 1 tablespoon batter into each mold. The batter will spread while baking, filling molds completely. Bake madeleines until golden and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 10 minutes. Sharply rap pan on work surface to loosen madeleines, then turn out onto rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.