Cheddar Bacon Scalloped Potatoes
I prefer to bake this in the over rather than microwaving ...
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and chopped, divided (can use turkey bacon)
- 2 - 2 1/2 #'s potatoes, unpeeled and thinly sliced (about 6 medium)
- 3 Tbl butter or margarine
- 3 Tbl all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk (can use low fat)
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups (8 oz) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 green onions, sliced
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 60mins
Place potatoes in large saucepan. Cover with water; bring to a boil. Cook over medium-high heat for 8 - 10 minutes or until just fork tender; drain.
Meanwhile, heat butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt & pepper. Gradually stir in evaporated milk, water & 1/3 cup bacon. Cook for about 8 - 10 minutes, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat. Stir in 1 1/2 cups cheese and green onion.
Layer half of the potatoes in ungreased 3 quart microwave safe dish. Pour half of the sauce over potatoes. Top with remaining potatoes and sauce. Top with remaining cheese and bacon. Microwave uncovered on high power for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
If you choose to bake in the oven: preheat to 350 and bake for about 30 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.