Sausage and Chicken Gumbo
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 ribs celery diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 8 oz Andouille sausage, or other spicy, smoked sausage
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed fine
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth, or as needed
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut in 2-inch pieces or two boneless chicken breasts.
- 1/2 cup minced green onions
Add the flour and oil to a stainless steel pot and cook on low heat for 20 minutes while stirring constantly until the desired color is reached.
Turn heat up to medium and add the onions, celery, and bell pepper and a little salt. Cook for about 10 minutes until vegetables have softened.
Add sausage, garlic, paprika, cayenne, black pepper.
Then add chicken broth and simmer for 30 minutes.
Add chicken and simmer for another 30 minutes.
Add minced green onions if desired while chicken is cooking.
Serve over rice. Will be kind of thick. May need to add more chicken stock to make it more like soup.