Farfalle Pasta with Sausage, Tomatoes and Cream
An easy pasta dish for busy nights.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausages, casings removed (or hot sausage or a combination of both)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes with added puree
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 pound farfalle pasta
- 1/2 cup (packed) chopped fresh basil
- Freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
Adapted from sweetpeaskitchen.com
•In a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add sausage and crushed red pepper. Sauté until sausage is no longer pink, breaking up, about 5 minutes. Add onion and garlic; sauté until onion is tender, about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes and cream. Reduce heat to low and simmer until sausage mixture thickens, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
•Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling water, cook pasta until tender but still firm to bite. Drain, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid. Return pasta to same pot. Add sausage mixture and toss over medium-low heat until sauce coats pasta, adding reserved cooking liquid by 1/4 cupfuls if mixture is dry. Transfer pasta to serving dish. Sprinkle with basil and cheese.