- For three pounds cucumbers:
- 1/4 cup pickling salt
- 2 tbsp distilled white vinegar
- 4 cups cold water
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried marjoram
- 1/2 tsp pickling salt
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled, crushed and minced
- 3 pounds cucumbers, quartered
- 3 thin slices red onion
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded, deveined and cut into thin strips
- 3 cherry peppers, cut in half, seeded and deveined
Mix the salt, vinegar and water in a non-reactive bowl. Stir until salt is completely dissolved. Add the remaining dry ingredients and mix.
Pack the cucumbers, onion, jalapeno and cherry peppers into three clean quart jars. Pour brine into jars so that cucumbrs are completely covered. (If you run out of brine, just top off the jars with a little water, leaving about 1/2 inch headroom). Screw on lids, tip jar to distribute spices and allow to ferment at room temperature for at least 3 days, then refrigerate another 5 days before eating.
They will keep several weeks chilled.