Donatella Arpaia's Meatballs
- 1/2 small loaf stale Italian bread, torn into 21/2-in chunks
- 1/2 lb. 80% lean ground beef
- 1/2 lb. ground veal
- 21/2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 4-5 cups your favorite marinara sauce
1. Soak bread in warm water to cover for 5 minutes. Squeeze chunks gently to remove excess water. Place in a large bowl. Add beef, veal, garlic, parsley, egg and cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Knead mixture with hands for a full 5 minutes until combined. Shape a heaping tbsp. of meat into a ball. Repeat.
2. Fill a 10-inch skillet halfway with canola oil and cook over high heat. Gently slide 8 to 10 meatballs at a time into skillet. Reduce heat to medium and fry, turning once, about 6 to 7 minutes on each side. Using a slotted spoon, transfer meatballs to a bowl. Heat meatballs in sauce for 20 minutes. Serve with spaghetti.