Spicy Garlic Cashew Chicken
- 1 cup roasted (salted or unsalted) cashew nuts
- 6 Tbsp roughly chopped cilantro (leaves and stems)
- 1/4 cup grapeseed or olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 to 2 jalapeño peppers, stems and most seeds discarded, roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp lime juice, plus lime wedges for garnish
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
1 In a food processor or blender, add the cashews, cilantro, oil, garlic, soy sauce, brown sugar, jalapeno, lime juice, and 2 tablespoons of water. Pulse or blend until the mixture is a smooth paste. Add salt and pepper to taste. Reserve a third of the marinade for serving with the chicken. Use the rest for coating the chicken.
2 Sprinkle the chicken thighs all over with salt and pepper. Coat the chicken pieces with the marinade. At this point if you want, you can make ahead, and chill for several hours or overnight until ready to cook. Bring to room temperature before cooking.
3 Preheat broiler or prepare grill for medium direct heat. Broil or grill chicken, turning frequently, until golden and crisp and a meat thermometer reads 170°F when inserted into the thickest part of the thigh (not touching a bone), or when the juices run clear (not pink) when cut into with a knife. This will take about 25 to 35 minutes for a grill on medium heat, or about 10-20 minutes under a broiler, depending on how far the chicken is from the heat. Serve with lime wedges, reserved marinade, and cilantro.