Cream of Broccoli Soup
Awesome and healthy recipe for broccoli soup! Serve with a sprinkling of cheddar cheese, with some good crusty rolls to get every last bit out of the bowl.
- 1 head broccoli
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup leeks, sliced, white part only
- 1/2 cup celery, sliced
- 4 cups fat-free, low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups nonfat evaporated milk, divided
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- Pinch black pepper
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 55mins
Adapted from southbeachdiet.com
Cut the broccoli into florets and set aside. Trim and discard the tough fibrous skin from the stems. Coarsely chop the stems and set aside.
In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, warm the oil. Add the leeks and celery and sauté 8 minutes, or until the leeks are soft.
Add the broccoli stems and broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, and cover and simmer 15 minutes. Add the broccoli florets and simmer 10 minutes more.
Purée the mixture in a food processor or blender. Return to the saucepan.
In a small bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup of the milk and the cornstarch until smooth. Slowly add to the broccoli mixture, stirring constantly over medium heat.
Stir in the remaining milk, thyme, and pepper. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more.
You'll also love
- Mrs. Garcia's Black Bean Soup 4.5/5 (53 Votes)
- Chicken and Pork Potstickers 4.4/5 (55 Votes)
- Cowboy Cupcakes 4.4/5 (55 Votes)
- Three Cheese Campfire Potatoes 4.3/5 (61 Votes)
- Roasted Garlic Fettuccine Alfredo 4.1/5 (83 Votes)
- Creamy Chicken Enchilada Soup 4.6/5 (45 Votes)
- Chicken Florentine Soup 5/5 (8 Votes)
- Tex Mex Chili Gravy 4.1/5 (76 Votes)