Sweet Potato & Red Pepper Pasta
Here's a way to use the “power vegetables” sweet potato and red bell pepper in a satisfying vegetarian pasta dish full of fresh herbs and creamy goat cheese. Any fresh herbs you have on hand, like basil, oregano, sorrel or chives, can be substituted for the tarragon. Serve with a garden salad.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat angel hair pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups shredded, peeled sweet potato, (about 1 medium)
- 1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup diced plum tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar, or lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
Adapted from eatingwell.com
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta until just tender, 4 to 5 minutes or according to package directions.
Meanwhile, place 1 tablespoon oil and garlic in a large skillet. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the garlic is sizzling and fragrant, 2 to 5 minutes. Add sweet potato, bell pepper, tomatoes and water and cook, stirring occasionally, until the bell pepper is tender-crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and keep warm.
Drain the pasta, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking water. Return the pasta to the pot. Add the vegetable mixture, the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, parsley, tarragon, vinegar (or lemon juice), salt and cheese; toss to combine. Add the reserved pasta water, 2 tablespoons at a time, to achieve the desired consistency.
You'll also love
- Tangy and Spicy Barbeque Sauce... 4.6/5 (12 Votes)
- Zucchini Spice Bread 4.6/5 (12 Votes)
- Penne with Italian Sausage - Baked 4.6/5 (12 Votes)
- Clean Green Bean Casserole (Vegan,... 4.6/5 (12 Votes)
- Chicken Florentine Pasta - Pioneer... 4.6/5 (12 Votes)
- Beer steamed potato hobo pack 4.6/5 (12 Votes)
- Sweet Potato & Carrot Gnocchi 4.6/5 (12 Votes)
- Easy Sweet Potato Veggie Burgers!... 4.6/5 (12 Votes)