ALEPPO PEPPER CHICKEN from Turkey
Grilled tender yogurt-marinated chicken thighs – an example of Turkish BBQ
- 3 tablespoons Aleppo pepper (crushed or flakes) or 4 teaspoons dried crushed red pepper plus 4 teaspoons Hungarian sweet paprika
- 2 cups plain whole-milk Greek-style yogurt (16 ounces)
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon coarse kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 10-12 garlic cloves, flattened and skins removed
- 2 unpeeled lemons, sliced into thin rounds.
- 4 pounds skinless boneless chicken thighs
Adapted from panningtheglobe.com
In a large bowl combine the 3 tablespoons Aleppo pepper with 2 tablespoons warm water. Stir and let sit for 5 minutes for the water to be absorbed. (if using red pepper flakes and paprika, combine 4 teaspoons of each in the bowl with 4 tablespoons warm water)
Add the next six ingredients to the bowl: Yogurt, oil, vinegar, tomato paste, salt, and pepper. Stir thoroughly to combine.
Next mix in the garlic and lemon slices. Add the chicken and stir to fully combine all ingredients.
Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill for at least an hour (and up to a day)
Preheat the barbecue to medium-high heat. Rub oil over the grates. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Grill the chicken about 6 minutes per side, or until cooked through.
Serve with grilled lemons and garlic. Enjoy!