Reduced Caloric Sweet Potato Casserole
Since glass baking dishes may not withstand the heat of the broiler, make sure to use a metal baking pan or broiler-safe ceramic dish.
- 2 2 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3/4 3/4 to 1/4 1/2 sugar (Reduce to 1/4 or 1/2 cup depending on sweetness of potatoes)
- 1/4 1/4 1/4 cup evaporated low-fat milk
- 3 3 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 1/2 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 2 2 large eggs
- Cooking spray
- 1.5 1.5 1/3 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1/3 cup)
- 2/3 2/3 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/8 1/8 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 2 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 1/2 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- to 350f to 350f
- To to 20 5 potatoes in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until tender; drain. Cool 5 minutes.
- Preheat broiler (remove casserole from oven).
- 45 10 12 2/3 or until topping is bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 - 2/3 cup servings.
Preheat oven to 350f
To prepare potatoes, place potatoes in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until tender; drain. Cool 5 minutes.
Place potatoes in a large bowl; add granulated sugar, evaporated milk, 3 tablespoons melted butter, ½ teaspoon salt, and vanilla. Beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Add eggs; beat well. Pour potato mixture into a 12 x 9 inch baking pan coated with cooking spray.
To prepare topping, weigh or lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, brown sugar, and 1/8 teaspoon salt; stir with a whisk. Stir in 2 tablespoons melted butter. Sprinkle four mixture evenly over potato mixture; arrange pecans evenly over top. Bake at 350F for 25 minutes or just until golden.
Preheat broiler (remove casserole from oven).
Broil casserole 45 seconds or until topping is bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 - 2/3 cup servings.
Calories 258 (32% from fat); Fat 9.2g (sat 3.6g, mono 3.6g, poly 1.5g) protein 3.3g, Carb 42g, fiber 2.5g, chol 43mg, iron 1.2mg, Sodium 199mg, Calc 54 mg.