- 4 tsp canola oil
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 red onions, chopped (or 1 large onion)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded, deveined, and minced (wear gloves to prevent irritation)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 lb ground skinless turkey breast (1 lb O.K.)
- 1 cup tomato sauce (1 can O.K.)
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 - 1 tsp hot Mexican chili powder
- 2 cups water
- 2/3 cup stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup shredded fat-free Monterey Jack cheese
In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. Saute the bell pepper, onions, jalapeno pepper, and garlic until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the turkey and cook, breaking apart with a wooden spoon, until browned, 5-8 minutes. Stir in the tomato sauce, corn, ½ tsp of the salt, and the chili powder; bring to boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, stirring once or twice, until the sauce thickens slightly, about 15 minutes. Transfer to an 8 inch square baking dish.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a medium saucepan, bring 1 cup of the water and the remaining ¼ tsp salt to a boil. In a medium bowl, whisk the cornmeal into the remaining 1 cup water. Slowly pour the moist cornmeal into the boiling water in a thin steady stream, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until the mixture comes back to a boil. Reduce the heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and begins to form large bubbles, about 5 minutes. Spread over the turkey so that it is completely covered. Bake 25 minutes, then sprinkle with the cheese and bake until the cheese melts, about 5 minutes longer. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
From Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook