Mediterranean Stuffed Cheese Buns
- 1 cup warm water (probably somewhere between 105º and 115º. I just get it hot from the tap. Don't get it too hot or it will kill the yeast.)
- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped black olives
- 1/4 cup chopped marinated artichoke hearts
- 1/4 cup pesto
- 8 About 8 oz. of mozzarella cheese cut into cubes.
- Butter and Parmesan cheese for top.
Mix together the yeast and water and let it sit for a couple minutes. Add the sugar, garlic powder, seasoning, melted butter, and oil. Add the flour a little and a time, mixing in your stand mixer with a dough hook. Add the salt. Knead for 10 minutes, in the stand mixer or by hand. Let the dough rise in a greased bowl (I used the same bowl) covered with a wet cloth for about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, combine all the filling ingredients except the cheese chunks. Preheat the oven to 375º. Divide the dough into about 10 to 20 pieces or so (you can make them as big or small as you want). Flatten each piece of dough into a large disk and place a spoonful of the filling in the middle. Top that with a chunk of cheese. Then pinch the dough back together and place the roll pinched side down on a greased baking sheet. Continue with remaining dough. Bake at 375ºF for about 15-25 minutes until the bread is golden brown (just keep cooking them until they begin to brown). Brush with the some melted butter and parmesan cheese and cook for a few more minutes. Serve with warm pizza sauce if you wish.