A Sun-Dried Tomato Ketchup
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1 /2 cups chopped yellow onion (roughly 2 medium)
- 5 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon spicy Hungarian paprika
Bring the water to a boil, add the tomatoes, and cover for 30 minutes to soften.
In a medium saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium-heat heat. Add the onions and saute until translucent. Add the garlic and saute a minute more. Add the vinegar and tomato paste, and cook for 4 minutes. Combine all ingredients (including tomatoes, onion mixtures, and spices) and 1 cup of the tomato soaking water in a blender, and puree. Dilute the ketchup to your preferred consistency with up to 2 more cups of the tomato soaking water.
Spoon the ketchup into a jar, seal, and refrigerate. Ketchup will keep this way for about two weeks.