Chayote and Shrimp Soup Seasoned with Stella Artois
- Cream of Chayote and Shrimp Soup Seasoned with Stella Artois
- MAKES 10 SERVINGS
- 8 Chayote*, halved
- 1/4 cup Louisiana pecan oil
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 pound small Louisiana shrimp, peeled
- and de-veined
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons quick-mixing flour
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
1. To a large pot, add Chayote and enough water to
cover. Bring to a boil, and cook until fork-tender, about
45 minutes. Transfer Chayote to a colander, and let stand
until cool enough to handle.
2. Remove and discard seeds and fibrous membranes
from Chayote, and scoop out as much flesh as possible.
Place flesh in a large bowl, and mash until smooth.
3. In a large Dutch oven, heat pecan oil and butter over
low heat until melted. Add onion, celery, and Chayote;
cook until onion is soft, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and
shrimp; cook for 2 minutes. Stir in peppers, salt, ginger, and
basil. Add fl our, stirring well.
4. Stir in broth, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce
heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
Remove from heat, and add half-and-half. Serve immediately.