Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Tangy Broccoli Slaw
Don't want to heat up your kitchen or grill? Make pulled pork in the slow cooker and compliment it with broccoli slaw, a refreshing take on a classic.
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 8 tablespoons cider vinegar, divided
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 (12-ounce) package broccoli slaw, or 4 cups shredded broccoli stems
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 1/2 pounds pork shoulder, trimmed and cut into 2 pieces
- 4 thick slices sandwich bread, toasted
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 495mins
Adapted from realsimple.com
In a medium bowl, mix together the red onion, 4 tablespoons of the vinegar, and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to 3 days.
In a large bowl, whisk together the sour cream, mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons of the remaining vinegar, and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Fold in the broccoli slaw and refrigerate for up to 12 hours.
In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, mix together the yellow onion, tomato paste, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, Cajun seasoning, the remaining 2 tablespoons of vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Add the pork and turn to coat.
Cover and cook until the pork is very tender, on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours (this will shorten total
Using 2 forks, shred the pork and mix it into the cooking liquid. Serve the pork and onions on the toast with the broccoli slaw.
You'll also love
- Spicy Turkey Meatballs and... 5/5 (5 Votes)
- Homestyle Baked Black Beans 5/5 (5 Votes)
- Candied Yams 5/5 (5 Votes)
- Chicken Enchiladas with Tomatillo... 5/5 (5 Votes)
- Tropical Grilled Pork Chops 5/5 (5 Votes)
- Baked Cheddar-Broccoli Rice Cups 4.6/5 (36 Votes)
- Flat Belly - Creamy Broccoli Soup 4.7/5 (33 Votes)