- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, diced, very cold
- 1/4 cup ice water
- Apple Filling:
- 1 1/2 lbs McIntosh or Gala apples, peeled, cored and cut into quarters
- 1/4 tsp grated orange peel
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup (1/4 stick) butter
1) In food processor, pulse flour, sugar and salt until combined. Take off lid and add butter. With fingers, being careful of the sharp blades, toss butter to coat with flour. Replace lid and pulse 12 to 15 times or until pea size clumps form. With motor running, add ice water through feed tube. Pulse to combine, stopping just before dough comes together completely.
2) Transfer dough to floured surface; pat into 2 even disks. Wrap each with plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 disk at least 1 hr; freeze other for another use.
3) Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper. On lightly floured surface, with rolling pin, roll dough into 11” round. Transfer to prepared cookie sheet.
Cut each apple quarter into 3 or 4 chunks. In bowl, toss apples with orange peel. Arrange apples on dough round, leaving 1 1/2” border.
1) In food processor, add all topping ingredients except butter and pulse a few seconds to combine. Add butter, pulsing until mixture is crumbly. Transfer to med bowl. With fingers, rub mixture until clumps form. Sprinkle evenly over apples. Gently fold edge of dough over apples, pleating and pressing to make circle (you are merely forming an edge, not covering the filling).
2) Bake 20 to 25 mins or until crust is golden brown and apples are tender. Let crostata cool on pan on wire rack 5 mins. Slide parchment paper with crostata onto wire rack and cool completely.