Chicken Basque with Olives & Artichokes
Braised chicken with onions, bell peppers, garlic, green and Kalamata olives, artichoke hearts. Served with lemon wedges for brightness. A delicious, briny dish!
- 4 pounds skinless, bone-in chicken thighs
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly cracked
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 medium white onion, large dice
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 24 Manzanilla olives (green), pitted
- 24 Kalamata olives, pitted
- 8 ounces jarred artichokes hearts, drained, rinsed and quartered
- 4 Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 quart low sodium chicken broth
- Lemon wedges for serving
Adapted from you-made-that.com
Heat the oil in a large pot or dutch oven. In a shallow pan mix together the flour, paprika, salt and pepper then dredge the chicken shaking off the excess flour.
Cook half the chicken on medium high heat for 4 to 5 minutes on each side so that they get browned. Take out and set on a plate then cook the remainder of the chicken.
Sauté the onions, bell pepper and garlic together for about 3 minutes, then add the sherry vinegar getting all the bits scrapped from the bottom.
Add the olives, tomatoes, artichokes, and broth to the pot then, add the chicken back and nestle them in between. Let the pot come to a boil then put the lid on and bake in the oven at 350 F for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. When done serve with lemon wedges, sprinkle the lemon juice over the chicken and broth it adds a nice flavor.
You'll also love
- Hatch Chicken Pot Pie 4.3/5 (12 Votes)
- Sweet Pepper-Stuffed Chicken... 4.3/5 (12 Votes)
- Chicken and Broccoli Crepes 4.3/5 (12 Votes)
- Glazed Pan-Fried Orange Chicken 4.4/5 (8 Votes)
- Chicken Hunter's Stew 4.4/5 (8 Votes)
- Chicken Lettuce Wraps 4.4/5 (8 Votes)
- Olive Garden Angel Hair and Three... 4.4/5 (8 Votes)
- Sticky Thai Peanut Orange Chicken... 4.4/5 (14 Votes)