From - The Frugal Gourmet Celebrates Christmas
- 2 1/2 lbs beef stew meat
- 5 lbs Granny Smith apples
- 3/4 lb beef suet, coarsely ground
- 1 1/2 lb dark raisins
- 1/2 lb mixed candied peel, chopped
- 1 lb brown sugar
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 lb currants
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1. Place stew meat in 4 quart pot and add just enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and simmer 1 hour. Drain meat and grind coarse.
2. Place ground meat in an 8 quart pot along with all remaining ingredients. Stir together and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer gently for 1 hour, stirring the mixture occasionally. Allow to cool.
3. The filling is ready to use or pack into 1 quart conning jars and freeze for later use.
4. It makes a great gift.
1. Make sure the canning jars are very clean - just coming from a hot dish washer.
2. Can freeze in other freezer appropriate containers.