Gluten-Free and Vegan Cornmeal Millet Biscuits with Honey and Thyme
- 1cup1 cup millet flour, spooned and levelled
- 1/3cup1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1/4cup1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 1/2tsp1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2tsp1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/21/2 tsp, finely chopped fresh rosemary, optional
- 1/3cup1/3 cup almond milk
- 2tbsp2 tbsp olive oil, plus more for brushing the biscuits
- 1tbsp1 tbsp organic honey (or sub maple syrup or agave if you want it to be vegan)
Adapted from 80twenty.ca
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the millet flour, cornmeal, flax, baking powder, salt, and rosemary, if using.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond milk, olive oil, and honey (or maple syrup or agave) until combined.
4. Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and stir gently with a wooden spoon until just combined.
5. Turn the dough onto a clean countertop and begin to gently shape it into a rectangle. You don’t want to work the dough too much because it will dry out. Roll it out with a rolling pin so that it gets to be about ½ – ¾-inch in thickness. Cut out 8 biscuits with a small round biscuit or cookie cutter. You may need to reshape the dough and start again once you’ve cut several out.
6. Place the biscuits on the cookie sheet and bake in the oven for 12 minutes, or until slightly golden and just firm to the touch.