Split Pea Soup
- 2 1/4 cups dried split peas (1 pound), sorted and rinsed
- 8 cups water
- 1 large onion chopped (1 cup)
- 2 medium celery stalks, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 ham bone or 2 pounds shanks
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1/4 inch pieces (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 potatoes cubed
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 chicken boulion cubes
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 23mins
Disolve chicken boulion cubes in water. Heat peas in water to boiling in 4 quart dutch oven. Boil uncovered for 2 minutes; remove from heat. Cover and let stand 1 hour.
Stir in onion, celery, pepper, oregano, garlic, bay leaves. Add ham bone. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 1 hour 30 minutes or until peas are tender.
Remove ham bone; remove ham from bone. Trim excess fat from ham; cut ham into 1/2 inch pieces.
Stir ham, carrots and potato cubes into soup. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 30 minutes or until carrots and potatoes are tender and soup is desired consistency.