Braised Vegetables Pot Pie with Cheddar Biscuits
Indulge with the cheddar biscuits in this recipe since the vegetables are leaner. This is also a great side dish for grilled fish or chicken.
- Cheddar Biscuits
- 1 cup (250 mL) whole wheat flour, sifted a few times
- 1 tsp (5 mL) low-sodium baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 in (1.25 cm) cubes and chilled
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) grated extra-sharp cheddar
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) buttermilk, well shaken
- Braised Vegetables Pot Pie
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) extra-virgin olive oil, divided, plus extra for oiling pan
- 3 cups (750 mL) young vegetables (such as onion, leek, carrot, celery, turnip, parsnip, squash, or potato), chopped to similar size
- 3 cups (750 mL) low-sodium vegetable broth, divided
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) whole wheat flour (or gluten-free option)
Adapted from alive.com
Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pepper in large bowl. Blend in butter with fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in cheese and green onion, add buttermilk, and stir until just combined.
Set aside until called for in Braised Vegetables Pot Pie recipe below.
Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C). Lightly brush 9 x 9 in (23 x 23 cm) baking pan or other shallow baking dish with about 1 tsp (5 mL) extra-virgin olive oil, and set aside.
In separate heavy, shallow pan add vegetables, 1 cup (250 mL) broth, 1 Tbsp (15 mL) oil, and thyme, and stir to coat. Over medium-high heat, bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer, covered, until vegetables are nearly done and liquid has been almost absorbed, about 20 or 30 minutes depending on vegetables used and their size.
Remove lid and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are coated with glaze and caramelized.
While vegetables are cooking, prepare sauce by heating remaining 2 Tbsp (30 mL) oil in large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add flour, whisk until smooth and cook, whisking constantly, for 2 minutes. Add remaining 2 cups (500 mL) broth and whisk until smooth. Increase heat to medium and simmer, whisking constantly. Remove pan from heat and whisk vigorously to break up any lumps.
Add vegetables to sauce, stir, and pour into prepared pan.
Drop Cheddar Biscuits (see above for recipe) into pan as topping, in mounds using ice cream scoop, leaving spaces in between. Bake until biscuits are golden and filling is bubbling, 25 to 30 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.