- 2 cups sticky rice
Preparation time 120mins
Cooking time 165mins
1. Soak the rice in cold water to cover by 2 inches for 3
hours up to overnight.
2. Drain the rice and transfer to a bamboo steaming
basket, or a colander or steaming basket which can
be suspended over boiling water. Set aside.
3. Fill a wok or saucepan with water. Place a rack or
tray at least 1 inch above the water, cover the wok,
and bring the water to a boil over high heat.
4. Uncover the wok and place the rice filled steaming
basket on the rack over the steam. Cover and reduce
the heat to maintain a steady steam, and cook until
the rice is sticky enough to be squeezed into small
lumps, about 30 to 45 minutes.
5. Add boiling water to the pan as needed to maintain
the original level.
6.When the rice is done, turn it out onto a large baking
7. Wet a wooden spoon and quickly and gently spread
the rice out into a shallow layer to help release some
of the steam.
8. When the rice is cool enough to touch, gather it into a
large lump and place it into a basket or on a serving
plate. Serve hot, warm or room temperature.