Bars, Russian Tea Cake
- 1/2 1/2 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted*
- 1/4 1/4 1/4 cup walnuts, toasted**
- 1/4 1/4 1/4 cup hazelnuts, toasted***
- 1/2 1/2 1/2 cup powdered sugar plus additional for sprinkling, divided
- 1/4 1/4 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1 1 cup unsalted butter, cut up, softened
- 1 1 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 1 3/4 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 1/8 1/8 teaspoon salt
- To 350ºF. 6 to 9 on baking sheet; bake at 350ºF. for 6 to 9 minutes or until almonds are light golden brown. Cool.
- To 350ºF. 6 to 8 baking sheet; bake at 350ºF. for 6 to 8 minutes or until walnuts are pale brown and fragrant. Cool.
Adapted from cookingclub.com
1. Heat oven to 350ºF. Line 8-inch square baking pan with foil, leaving edges slightly overhanging. Coat foil with cooking spray; dust with flour, tapping out excess.
2. Combine almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, 1/2 cup of the powdered sugar and 1/4 cup sugar in food processor; pulse until nuts are finely ground. Add butter and vanilla; pulse until smooth and creamy. Add flour and salt; pulse until dough just begins to hold together. Spread dough in pan.
3. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until pale golden brown. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Use foil to remove bars from pan before cutting. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Wrap tightly; store in airtight container. Sprinkle with powdered sugar again just before serving.