UPSIDE DOWN APPLE FRENCH TOAST
Great for overnight guests. No syrup needed for this.
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp water
- 3 granny smith apples
- cinnamon to taste
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
- 1 loaf French bread, sliced 1/2" thick
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 6 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- nutmeg to taste
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, for garnish
- Crème Topping
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 90mins
1. Combine butter, brown sugar and water in saucepan and heat on medium until bubbling stirring frequently. Pour this mixture into a 9x13 pan and allow to cool 20-30 minutes.
2. Place sliced apples over brown sugar mixture in bottom of pan in rows close together, overlapping is fine. Sprinkle with cinnamon, nutmeg and raisins if desired.
3. Place sliced bread on top of apples. Mix eggs, milk & vanilla and pour over bread.
4. Cover & refrigerate overnight or for at least 3 hours to let the bread thoroughly absorb the egg mixture.
5. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 1 hour or until golden and crispy on top. Invert onto platter for serving. If any apples stick you can remove them with a spatula and just arrange on top.
6. Crème topping is optional but delicious! Just whip all ingredients on high until thickened and serve a generous spoonful on top of each serving.