Birdie Pumpkin Bread
from Phoenix Landing
- 15 oz can of organic pumpkin (including the pie spice, or you can add cinnamon and ginger, most birds really like the spices).
- 1/2 cup applesauce or one of the snack applesauce
- (a great substitute for oil)
- 1 egg
- 2 TBL quinoa (if you’d like to add some protein)
- Unsulphured dried fruits or nuts – whatever your birds most enjoy. Walnuts are high in Omega 3’s
- 2 cups flour (interesting flours include garbanzo, millet, ground oatmeal, coconut, organic cornbread mix, etc.). My favorite flour is Bob’s Redmill garbanzo bean flour. I like the texture and the nutritional content.
Make a thick batter. If it gets too thick, add some juice (mango, carrot etc). Garnish it if you like with cereals or nuts.
You can be creative with the ingredients, the important thing is to make a stiff batter. Bake 45 minutes or so @ 375 degrees or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cast iron skillets work well. Freeze in sections, keep 2-3 days worth in the fridge.