Chicken and Dumplings
- 2 cups onion
- 2 cups carrots, sliced 1/4" thick
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage, minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1 egg
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1. Sweat onion, carrot, celery and herbs in butter in covered dutch-oven for about 15 minutes. Stir in flour and cook one minute.
2. Deglaze with wine and lemon juice. Whisk in broth, milk, and cream.
3. Remove one cup of broth mixture and set aside. Add chicken. Add peas at the end.
4. Bring to a simmer and cook dumplings in broth
6. Whisk together egg and reserved broth mixture.
7. Mix dry ingredients in bowl. Pour liquid into the flour mix and stir with a fork. It will form a very stiff dough.
8. Roll onto a well floured surface and cut into 1 x 4 inch strips.
9. Add to simmering soup and cook covered about 15 minutes.